Tess Howley, Claire Weinstein Win 2 Events Each on Day 3 of TYR Senior Mets
2021 TYR Senior Metropolitan Summer Championships
- July 15–18, 2021
- Eisenhower Park, Nassau County Aquatic Center
- 50m (LCM)
- Championship Central
- Thursday Results
- Friday Results
- Saturday Results
16-year-old Tess Howley from Long Island Aquatic Club and 14-year-old Claire Weinstein from Westchester Aquatic Club each won a pair of events and made waves in the LSC record books on Day 3 of the 2021 TYR Senior Metropolitan Summer Championships.
Howley took home top honors in back-to-back events, winning the 50 free in 26.05 ahead of teammate Cavan Gormsen (26.29), then turning around and blasting a 1:01.58 in the 100 back to win by 3 seconds over LIAC teammates Julienne Saliou (1:04.57) and Kailey Simons (1:04.61). Howley’s 100 back time lowered her own Metropolitan Swimming LSC Record for 15-16 girls, which she had established as 1:02.72 in April at LIAC Long Island Challenge.
Weinstein started her evening off with a first-place swim in the 200 IM, notching a time that beat her personal best by 9.2 seconds. Entered as the 15th seed with 2:26.68, Weinstein swam 2:20.56 in prelims and 2:17.48 in finals to get the win and vault to #28 on the all-time list of 13-14 girls. She also won the 400 free, improving her time by 1.3 seconds to 4:11.90 and moving from 12th to 8th on the all-time age group list. She also lowered her own LSC record from 4:13.20 to 4:11.90. Gormsen finished second to Weinstein in the 400 free (4:14.52), while LIAC’s Sophia Karras edged Badger’s Hana Shimizu-Bowers, 4:20.50 to 4:20.74, for third place. In the IM, Weinstein shared the podium with Badger’s Vanessa Chong (2:19.28) and BGNW’s Sabrina Johnston (2:20.58). Shimizu-Bowers was 4th in 2:21.35.
Sebastian Smith of Patriot Swim Team continued to stun the field on Day 3. After a surprise win in the 100 fly on Friday, he moved from 12th seed (with 24.99) to gold medalist in the 50 free a day later. Smith dropped 1.09 seconds to win with 23.90. Billy Swartwout of Long Island Aquatic Club placed second with 24.10, dropping .20 from his seed time, while BGNW’s Timothy Park (24.23) and NYSA’s Timothy Engel (24.43) notched lifetime bests to land in third place and fourth place.
14-year Sean Green won his second big event of the meet with 4:00.85 in the 400 free. After winning the 800 free on Thursday with a 21.4-second drop, coming in 2nd in the 400 IM and improving by 13.8 seconds, Green finished first in the 400 free lowering his PB by 11.8-seconds. JC Castrillon of LIAC touched 4.2 seconds behind the leader in second place (4:05.09); TVSC’s Liam Preston was third (4:07.13).
Other event winners:
- Long Island Aquatic Club’s Billy Swartwout clocked a 58.19 to win the 100 back over Tristan Pragnell of Asphalt Green (58.42). LIAC’s Matthew Beehler (59.17) improved by .8 to finish third, edging Ryan Nunez of Long Island Express (59.20) and James Pastore of BGC-N. Westchester Marlins (59.24).
- Badger’s Christian Lee improved his seed time by 2 seconds to win the 200 IM with 2:06.93. Top-seeded Dylan Rhee of AGUA was runner-up in 2:07.74. Max Hardard of Badger dropped 2.4 seconds to finish third.
Team Scores – Day 3
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 710
- Badger Swim Club – 278
- Westchester Aquatic Club – 243
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 235
- BGC–N. Westchester Marlins – 226.50
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 550.50
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 343
- Badger Swim Club – 259.50
- BGC–N. Westchester Marlins – 225.50
- Phoenix Aquatic Club – 132
Read the full story on SwimSwam: Tess Howley, Claire Weinstein Win 2 Events Each on Day 3 of TYR Senior Mets
Source: Swimming – SwimSwam