NC State-Bound Noe Ponti Snags Multi-Wins At Swiss C’ships
2020 SWISS SC CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Friday, November 13th – Sunday, November 15th
- Neuchâtel, Switzerland
- SCM (25m)
While the semifinals of the International Swimming League (ISL) captured much of the swimming world’s attention over the weekend, there were several domestic meets that were also taking place with elite swimmers taking part.
Several Swiss swimmers stood out in the form of capturing multiple wins, while others snagged a championship record to make their mark on the meet. Below are several highlights from key athletes.
- Took the men’s 400m free in a new meet record time of 3:43.77. That overtook his own previous championship mark of 3:45.10 put on the books two years ago. Runner-up status in the race went to Antonio Djakovic in 3:50.16, the reigning Swiss national record holder and European Junior Champion in the LCM version of this event.
- Liess also doubled up in the sprint frees, taking home gold in the 200m in a time of 1:45.37 and the 100m in a mark of 48.15. In the former, it was Djakovic once again who earned the silver, stopping the clock in 1:46.61. In the latter event, Liess set himself apart as the only sub-49 second swimmer of the final.
- The multi-national record holder was dominant in the men’s backstroke events, completing a sweep of the discipline. The 20-year-old claimed the 50m back in a time of 24.56, the 100m back in a time of 52.85 and the 200m back in a final result of 1:55.06. The 100m back represents a new meet record.
- Mityukov also topped the podium in the men’s 100m IM in 54.47.
- Kaser was golden in the 200m breast with a winning effort of 2:09.91, beating the field by well over a second. He did miss the double, however, as Maurin Lampart sneaked into the wall first in the 100m breast with the only sub-minute time of the field in 59.92. Kaser finished in 1:00.52.
- Hitting a meet record in the 200m breast, Mamie posted a winning time of 2:21.29. That result sits just .09 outside of her own national record of 2:21.20 she produced in 2019.
- Mamie also beat the field in the 50m breast in 30.78.
- Mamie also snagged the 100m breast in a time of 1:06.14, the 400m IM in 4:41.65, as well as the 200m IM in 2:14.49.
- Kreundl was the only racer under the 2:00 threshold in the women’s 200m free, capturing gold in 1:59.74. She also snagged the 100m free victory on the final day of competition by posting a gold medal-worthy time of 54.53.
- Ponti posted a new meet record in the men’s 200m fly, topping the field in a time of 1:54.05. That was a near-lifetime best for Ponti, with the time sitting just .12 outside of Jeremy Desplanches’ national record of 1:53.93 that’s been on the books since 2018.
- Ponti also snagged gold in the 200m IM, posting a time of 1:55.83 to lay waste to the meet record of 1:57.38 from 2019.
Read the full story on SwimSwam: NC State-Bound Noe Ponti Snags Multi-Wins At Swiss C’ships
Source: Swimming – SwimSwam