Holyfield says he’s ready and willing to face Tyson once more.
Evander Holyfield hasn’t taken much time to react to Mike Tyson’s exhibition fight against Roy Jones, issuing a press statement where he calls for Tyson to sign a contract for them to square off in the ring once more.
“No more excuses,” said Holyfield in a statement. “This is the fight that must happen for both our legacies. Saturday night you said you were ready to fight me, so sign the contract and get in the ring, Tyson. The world is waiting and it’s on you now. I’m ready.”
Holyfield, 58, went on to say that he tried to make this past fight against Tyson but was met with ‘nothing but excuses’ before saying that it’s evident why Tyson wanted a so-called tune-up against Roy Jones Jr. first.
“Roy Jones was a good local opponent for Mike but a fight with me would be a global event and the only fight that anyone wants to see is a fight between us. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t make it happen.”
Calling Jones a ‘good local opponent’ seems like a disingenuous description, but Holyfield is clearly laying it on pretty thick after Tyson-Jones got a pretty damn good reception all things considered. Tyson and Holyfield previously fought twice between 1996 and 1997 — the latter being the infamous ear-biting incident which forever lives in boxing lore.
Source: Boxing – Bad Left Hook